In 1922, the United Evangelical Church and the Evangelical Association merged to form the Evangelical Church. Both Grace Evangelical Church and First Evangelical Church (now Community UMC) continued, now as part of a single denomination. The interior of Grace Evangelical Church was destroyed by a fire in 1923, but the congregation quickly rebuilt and the newly remodeled building was dedicated on May 18, 1924.