Old Main has been the physical and emotional center of North Central College since its construction in 1870. However, despite periodic alterations, by the 1990s, Old Main had become inadequate to serve the College in its original function. Its facilities were dated and the building itself, including classrooms on the upper floors, were inaccessible to physically-challenged students and staff. In the most ambitious renovation to date, Old Main was taken down to its limestone shell and begun again in 1997. Externally, adding matched limestone created two additional floors in the center section which allowed for the installation of an elevator and an entirely accessible building. In 1998, Old Main reopened and now, it truly serves as the center for all the services students need including admission, class registration, financial aid, tuition payments, campus postal center, and seminar/classrooms.