Construction began on a new building to house the Evangelical Theological Seminary (the name changed from Union Biblical Institute in 1909) in 1912. For many decades, the ETS building housed all functions of the seminary, including classroom, worship, library, and faculty offices. Beyond residence halls, the first expansion of ETS occurred with the 1954 completion of the College and Seminary Library. In 1960, altered fire code in the city of Naperville required that the main building no longer be used for classroom space. In response, the Academic Center was built in 1967. Once purchased by the College, the former ETS main building was used to house many different offices over the years. Now, the building has been completely renovated, rededicated at Kiekhofer Hall, and houses the English, Modern and Classical Languages, and Religious Studies departments and the offices for Ministry and Service, Academic Opportunities, and International Programs.