In 1929, Nichols Gymnasium burned to the ground. Naperville citizens again supported the College in this time of need. The local YMCA hosted indoor athletic activities of the College until a new facility was constructed. Funding for Merner Fieldhouse included $46,000 pledged by alumni, friends of the College, and the local community. The upstairs gym in Merner Fieldhouse was named Nichols Hall in memory of the original building.