Another factor leading to the relocation was the offer of land and substantial monetary commitment ($25,000) by the local residents. Martin Brown, a partner in Brown & Holler's Store in downtown Naperville, served as collector for Old Main's building committee. Local religious institutions were a third factor in the relocation decision and are discussed in the expanded exhibit located in the College Archives. This photo shows the ceremony for the laying of Old Main's cornerstone on May 17, 1870.