North Central College has seen many of its students become overseas missionaries. In fact, it has served as a training ground from as early as 1876, when the Evangelical Association's first missionary to Japan, Adolph Halmhuber, studied English at North Central College (then called North-Western College) prior to departing for Japan. One student organization, the Student Volunteer Band, organized in 1892 within the campus YMCA/YWCA, served to "create missionary zeal and enthusiasm among the students". A plaque on the wall of Koten Chapel lists the North Central College graduates through the early 1950s who were sent as missionaries.