Once the fountain was removed, classes focused on another object for their "spirit" statement, the memorial class stone from the Class of 1876. The stone had a long and eventful life. In the early days of the college, its location in front of Old Main interfered with the students' athletic contests, and according to tradition, in the midst of "a dark night," a group of students buried the stone. In 1929, a group of students, following a study of old photographs and survey of the grounds excavated the stone. The photograph here shows the excavation in 1929.